In 1959 the Daughters of Mary and Joseph were invited to Uganda to start girls’ secondary school education. Later the Sisters embarked into hospital ministry and teacher training Education.
In response to the new needs of society the Sisters are currently in various ministries: formal and informal education, medical – HIV/AIDS, agriculture, guidance and counselling, developmental project work, youth work,human and religious formation and administration.
While continuing in the original ministry of teaching, the sisters moved to Karamoja in northern Uganda in the 1980s and 1990s in response to a famine situation there.
In 1984 a farm was established at Bisheshe which continues as a model demonstration farm in the area and supplies food to the needy. A women’s adult literacy and development group is also part of the work of the Bisheshe community.
2015 has seen a new development in the youth and Health ministries in Kabale.
Presently there are 22 Sisters in Uganda – 10 of whom are still in training. Vocation promotion and formation continues to be the responsibility of all and Uganda is blessed with new yearly recruits.
During 2008 we began a new venture of construction of a primary boarding school for approx 1,000 children in fulfilment of the mandate of the Founder, Canon Van Crombrugghe, of “Education of the Whole Person.