Beginnings

...instruments of mercy in the hand of God...

Beginnings

founder1
The Daughters of Mary and Joseph were founded in Belgium in 1817. See the Belgium page for our early history. Click Here.

In 1869, sisters came from Belgium to Croydon, Surrey and began Coloma School which still flourishes today. In 1882 a community and school opened in Scarborough. Other schools followed among them St. Anne’s College, Sanderstead, Coalville, Normanton Rise Preparatory School, Merrow Grange, Forest Hill.

Coloma_Early_Days_[320x200]

Later the sisters taught in other schools including Regina Coeli, St. Mary’s, West Croydon, St. John Rigby, and St. Paul’s, and St. John’s in Portsmouth.

Sisters contributed to the wider educational community through Coloma College of Education (For teacher training) at West Wickham.

After Vatican II sisters became involved in other ministries including parish work, social work, medicine and retreat work.

From England Sisters also began missions in Uganda and Ghana. These are now part of the African Province.